If the police arrested you or are accusing you of possessing illegal drugs, you have the right to contact a criminal defense lawyer who will stand by you during interrogations, your arraignment, and other court proceedings. A drug possession defense lawyer in Mason, OH at the Law Offices of Steven R. Adams, LLC can protect your rights and represent your best interests no matter where you are in the criminal justice process. You do not have to go through this alone.
Attorney Steven R. Adams will be frank with you about the challenges of your case and explain the possible outcomes. Our team can ease your anxieties and will fight aggressively to achieve a more positive result in your case. Call our office today at 513-929-9333 to learn more or for immediate help.
Understanding the Seriousness of an Ohio Drug Possession Conviction
Ohio drug possession charges can range from relatively minor offenses to serious crimes that may come with significant fines, jail or prison sentences, and other consequences. We can help you understand the possible outcomes of your case and what type of repercussions you may face if convicted.
The factors that contribute to the severity of the sentence you might receive if convicted include:
- The type of drugs you had, and how the state classifies that drug
- The amount of drug you possessed at the time of your arrest
- Your previous criminal record, especially relating to drug charges
If you have a small amount of marijuana (less than 100 grams) on you or in your car and police believe it is likely for personal use, you are unlikely to face any significant consequences as long as you do not have any previous arrests. For a minor misdemeanor of possession of marijuana, you face a relatively small fine or community service.
Schedule I or II Drugs
Possessing Schedule I or II drugs such as cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, or prescription narcotics without a valid prescription can be more problematic. This is especially true when you have them in higher quantities. You could face:
- Significant fines
- Long periods of community control, with more rules and stipulations
- Loss of privileges associated with a felony conviction
- Other serious consequences
A Conviction Affects Every Aspect of Your Life
Even when the penalties are relatively minor, a Mason, Ohio drug possession conviction can affect almost every aspect of your life. All the consequences of a conviction do not come attached to the judge’s sentence. Many occur simply because you have a drug conviction on your record. They might include:
- You will have to explain your criminal history every time someone runs a background check.
- You may struggle to get a new job.
- You might have a problem passing a background check for a new apartment or house.
- You may not be able to receive or renew some professional licenses.
Our team understands how a drug possession conviction can severely impact your quality of life, as well as your ability to find and keep a job. We know the best way to avoid these issues is to prevent a conviction. This is why we work aggressively to develop a robust defense strategy for every client. We will help fight the charges against you, striving for a better outcome in your case.
How a Mason, Ohio Drug Possession Defense Lawyer Can Help You
Our team can jump in, no matter where you are in the criminal justice process. Often, family members call us when their loved one goes in for questioning, and we can meet them at the station. We protect their rights during interrogations and provide legal advice and support from this point forward. Others call us only after the arraignment, unsure what to do now that they are facing charges.
No matter where you are, we can help you understand what to expect and guide you through the next steps.
We Investigate Every Case
As soon as possible after we meet with every new client, we launch an investigation into their arrest. We look at what happened before, during, and after the arrest, gathering all available evidence to understand your circumstances. This includes investigating:
- Your activities just before and during your arrest
- The actions of police just before and during your arrest
- Why police stopped you or why they arrested you
- The alleged crime
- All interactions between you and the police
Using the information we collect, we build a strong case in your favor. We develop a defense strategy based on the facts of your case and use it to try to fight for a more favorable outcome.
Possible Outcomes of a Mason, Ohio, Drug Possession Charge
When you enlist our help with your case, we can explain the strengths and the challenges associated with your specific situation and help you understand the likely possible outcomes. We will discuss what the best possible outcome might look like based on your circumstances and put a defense strategy in place that may help us achieve it.
In general, some of the possible outcomes of a Mason, OH drug possession case include:
- You plead guilty to the charges against you and receive the standard sentence
- You plead guilty to the charges, and we aggressively pursue lenient sentencing
- We represent you aggressively, but the jury still finds you guilty at trial
- We negotiate a plea deal with prosecutors allowing you to plead guilty to a lesser charge and receive more lenient penalties
- We argue to have prosecutors drop the charges because of evidence we discover
- We represent you aggressively, and the jury returns a not-guilty verdict
Talk to a Drug Possession Defense Lawyer in Mason, OH, Today
Criminal lawyer Steven R. Adams can protect your rights and will fight to help you get a more positive outcome in your case. He and the rest of the criminal defense team from The Law Offices of Steven R. Adams, LLC will develop a defense strategy based on the facts of your case, and will aggressively pursue dropped charges, an acquittal, or lenient penalties.
You do not have to face Mason, Ohio drug possession charges alone. Call our office today at 513-929-9333.