A DUI and OVI lawyer in Mason, OH from The Law Offices of Steven R. Adams, LLC can help you fight drunk driving charges. We know how scary this time can be, but you can have fighters on your side. Our team can protect your rights, represent you throughout the process, and fight to clear your name and restore your driver’s license.
We can help you better understand your legal situation and provide guidance and support throughout the process. Call 513-929-9333 for a free consultation.
You Do Not Have to Face a Mason OVI Charge on Your Own
Ohio takes drunk driving seriously. Operating a vehicle under the influence (OVI) can lead to severe penalties that affect your everyday life. This may include:
- Administrative and criminal driver’s license suspensions
- Significant fines
- Probation, known as community control
We understand how important a clean criminal record is. We also know you do not want to go to jail or lose your license for an extended period of time. You need your driver’s license to continue going to work or school. We are here to help defend your reputation and fight the drunk driving accusations you face.
Mason, Ohio criminal defense lawyer Steven R. Adams can:
- Protect your rights
- Investigate your actions leading up to your arrest
- Investigate the arrest itself to ensure law enforcement did not violate your rights
- Put a defense strategy in place that helps get a more favorable outcome
- Walk with you through the entire process
- Represent you in court
- Aggressively pursue the best result in your case
Facing the Consequences of a Mason OVI
In Ohio, you could face both administrative and criminal penalties after an OVI arrest and conviction.
Ohio Administrative Drunk Driving Penalties
You do not have to receive an OVI conviction to face administrative penalties after an Ohio drunk driving arrest. When police arrest you on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, these penalties will go into effect immediately. In fact, the arresting officer will take your license at the time they take you into custody.
We can help you appeal this administrative suspension, but you will need to act quickly. Consider these facts:
- You only have 30 days after your arrest to request an appeals hearing
- We will need to build a case to demonstrate your innocence to the judge who oversees your suspension
- The judge could reinstate your privileges during this hearing, but it is not common
- You will likely have a three-month suspension for your first offense
- You may qualify for limited driving privileges despite this suspension, in some cases
Ohio Criminal Drunk Driving Penalties
While you face administrative penalties no matter what, you will not face criminal drunk driving penalties unless the court convicts you of an OVI offense. The penalties associated with an Ohio drunk driving conviction may include:
- Jail time
- Significant fines
- Community control with stringent conditions
- An extended driver’s license suspension
If the prosecution has a strong case against you, we can attempt to negotiate for community control to help you avoid incarceration. While you may have to undergo regular drug testing and/or mandatory alcohol counseling, you can continue working or going to school in most cases.
In some cases, we cannot negotiate community control for your full sentence because there is a mandatory minimum jail sentence associated with the charge. This includes:
- When you have a certain number of previous drunk driving convictions; or
- They tested your blood alcohol concentration at or above .17
We may be able to work out a deal where you can serve this minimum sentence during summer vacation or weekends, so you can continue to work and/or go to school despite your conviction.
Understanding the Best Defense Strategy for Your Mason Drunk Driving Case
When you choose our team to help you fight your Mason drunk driving charge, we will look at the full circumstances of your arrest and build a defense strategy that may help you get a more positive outcome in your case.
Hopefully, we can convince the prosecutors to drop the charges, win a not guilty verdict, or reduce the consequences you face. While every case is different and requires its own unique strategy, some of the most common tactics we use in these cases include:
- Presenting evidence to try to prove your innocence and have the prosecution drop the charges
- Presenting proof there was a problem with the blood alcohol concentration tests, equipment, or testing procedures
- Showing evidence of an illegal traffic stop, entrapment, or illegal search
- Negotiating a plea deal agreement for a lesser charge, often reckless driving
- Arguing your case in court and attempting to convince a jury of your innocence
- Pleading guilty and trying to negotiate a more tolerable sentence that allows you to continue working and/or going to school
Our team handles a lot of drunk driving criminal defense cases in Ohio. We know what it takes to win a more favorable outcome and will fight to defend you against the allegations you face.
Talk to a DUI & OVI Lawyer in Mason, OH About Your Case
Criminal lawyer Steven R. Adams is here to help you fight to keep your driving privileges and clean record. We will stand beside you from the time police detain you to your administrative appeals hearing and through your trial. You can feel confident we are fighting for a more favorable outcome for you.
Call us today at 513-929-9333 to learn more or to get started.