The sight of those flashing red and blue lights in your rearview mirror can be a stressful one. No one likes getting pulled over, but if you know what to do, there is no need for alarm.
Pulled over by the Police? Keep the following tips in mind:
- Have your license, registration, and proof of insurance ready to hand to the officer before they reach your vehicle. One of the things the police are hoping to see is you fumbling through this task, so show them that you are in control of the situation.
- When the officer knocks on your window and asks you to roll it down, roll it down. It looks suspicious to just crack the window, so just roll it down like normal.
- If the officer asks you if you have been drinking, do not lie, but don’t incriminate yourself, either. In this country, people not only have a Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate themselves, but also have the right to legal counsel. Do not admit to anything. Tell the officer, “before I say or do anything, I’ve been advised to speak to a lawyer. I would like to do that at this time.” In doing this, you have not lied, you have not admitted anything, and you have asserted your rights.
- The Po Po are skilled at trying to obtain evidence, and may employ tactics like intimidation or playing the “good cop.” Do not give in to these schemes! Whether they are trying to act like your friend or if they are playing the bully, be consistent in asserting your right to a lawyer.
- If the Po Po asks you to get out of the car, get out of the car. They have the ability to investigate, and you don’t want to give them any reason to arrest you by refusing to comply.
- If the officer asks you to take a field sobriety test, choose to refuse! The officer may call this “checking your eyes”. These tests are completely voluntary and you cannot be penalized for refusing to take them. Don’t bother with roadside gymnastics!
- Has the Po Po placed you under arrest? The officer’s belief that you are driving under the influence of alcohol is merely opinion, and opinion is only as good as the facts that support it. Because you have not provided him with any evidence to back this opinion up, you have a fighting chance of prevailing in court.
- What if the officer takes you to the police station and asks you to take a breathalyzer test? Say no no to the Po Po! Not only are breath testing machines notorious for being ill-maintained and scientifically inaccurate, but it is important not to give to Po Po evidence they can use to convict you.
Are you or someone you know facing DUI / OVI charges?
If you are facing DUI charges, you need to speak with an experienced DUI attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Cincinnati office directly at 513-929-9333 to schedule your free consultation.